Rural Municipality of Miltonvale Park
PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
POSITION: Property Development Officer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Chief Administrative Officer
NATURE OF WORK:
This is administrative and professional work dealing in the administration and enforcement of the Zoning & Subdivision Bylaw and the Official Plan for the Rural Municipality of Miltonvale Park. The Property Development Officer shall be responsible for advising and assisting the Planning Board/Council and CAO in policy formation and the development and implementation of the Official Plan and associated land use bylaws. The Property Development Officer is expected to function with a high degree of independence and to be committed to the goals and objectives of the municipality. The municipality has a Planner and Legal Counsel who can be consulted where necessary.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Currently the position involves approximately 5 hours weekly in the Council Office at the Milton Community Hall from March-November, as well as additional hours that have been, in the past, worked at home. Hours usually range 35-40/month; however, have ranged from 5-50 hours monthly over the past two years.
Confidentiality of municipal information shall be respected and practiced at all times.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To provide advice and assistance in policy formation including the preparing, and reviewing of the Official Plan and associated development bylaw;
- To administer, interpret and enforce the Official Plan and associated development bylaw:
- Accept, review and evaluate Development Applications, and any necessary supporting documents,
- Perform site inspections when required
- Issue permits when requirements are met.
- Post permits as required.
- Keep accurate records of permits and approvals
- Collect fees and file records
- Enforce the Development Bylaw
- To provide regular (generally monthly) reports to Council on development applications and to appear before Planning Board/Council on request;
- To be the resource person for Planning Board and to prepare a detailed agenda for Planning Board meetings;
- To attend, or represent the Council, at appeal hearings and in negotiations with developers and legal counsel;
- To maintain a data base and filing system for development applications; and
- To report development to CMHC, StatsCan, and the province, as required.
- To assist in the preparation of the Planning budget and to monitor and report expenditures in accordance with the approved budget
- To perform such other duties as may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of land use planning and bylaws;
- Ability to express ideas effectively, orally and in writing;
- Experience working with computers, including word processing, data base, spreadsheets, and mapping
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with municipal officials and employees, other level of government and the general public; and
- Tact, initiative, responsibility and professional competence.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma in Planning Technology or a related field;
- Minimum of two years practical related experience; and
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Please send a letter of application, resume, names of two references, and salary expected to [email protected]. Deadline for applications is 12 noon, Monday, November 4, 2019.